Defence School Transition Aide Program (D.S.T.A.)
Holy Spirit School has supported defence families successfully since 2002 and continues to support the D.S.T.A. program and defence families in all areas of school and community life. This is achieved on a whole school level by regular participation in special events which highlight the selflessness of members of the Australian Defence Force from our past and in present day situations.
The program provides support for students and their families by:
- Welcoming defence families into the school community.
- Following up with students finding it difficult to settle into their new school environment.
- Providing support to students transferring to another school due to posting.
- Making weekly visits to students when a family member is on overseas deployment or away on Defence related separations.
- Continually updating the school newsletter and school website with Defence news.
- Keeping up to date with resources and events in the Defence community by attending regular network meetings and professional development.
- Maintaining contact with families and students on a regular basis.
Holy Spirit School has two Defence School Transitions Aides who between them have many years experience with students support and Defence related-matters. They both look forward to supporting Defence children and their families while at Holy Spirit School while continuing to ensure that all members of the community are given the opportunity to support each other in everyday life.